FALL IN LOVE WITH MORE FREE TEMPLATES! CLICK HERE TO GET YOUR OWN SMITTEN BLOG DESIGN... »

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Furniture my new love

Have you ever seen an old piece of furniture and thought... that has potential? Next time you have this thought I strongly urge you to act on it! buy that piece of furniture take it home and get to work. Don't worry about lack of experience, I had none prior to this month! all you need is vision, patience, a sander and paint.

I found this old bread bin at the back of value village (my local thrift store) unfortunately my brain was not completely switched on and I totally forgot to take a 'before' picture, sorry! but anyway it was dark wood- not my favourite and I'm not going to lie it was pretty darn dirty too. Well the bread bin was $7, I cleaned it and took the front glass piece out, dismantled it, sanded it (with an electric palm sander- which is far faster than hand sanding!) next came 2 coats of antique white spray paint (approximately $4). Then all the pieces were put back together and a little hand sanding was used to distress .... easy peasy! and now it's sitting pretty in my little shop :)


This piece of furniture was found on the side of the road with a 'free' sign on it which my in laws picked up. It was sanded and spray painted and had a little top made for it (by my lovely husband and father in law) with some scrap wood that was laying around.

Here is the before picture...

And here is the diamond in the rough at the shop. I think it turned out rather wonderfully.



Here is my latest object of desire, purchased yesterday with great excitement, an adorable scroll top desk in perfect working condition, I purchased it from, you guessed it... the thrift store. I think I might be already too much in love with this item to ever sell it. It is going to take a lot of sanding! and a great paint job, I can't wait to get started.


Here is last weeks treasure. I found this chair on craigslist and bought it for next to nothing! It is a solid oak swivel chair from an old greyhound bus station, my initial idea was so sand and paint it but I am now considering leaving it in it's original state. I am sure that this chair will soon find a loving home where it can be truly appreciated. It is going to be hard selling furniture which is so pleasing to the eye but I can't keep it all!




I shall keep you posted on the progress with the scroll top desk. I am off to do some sewing and maybe squeeze in a little shopping too :)
Have a wonderful weekend.
xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment